Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Read Any Good Books Lately?

I once read that 90% of all Christian books sold in America were sold to women. Certainly, many of those books find themselves in the hands of their husbands, fathers, sons, and other men in their lives; but, it may be safe to assume that women typically read more than the average man.

When I read that, it motivated me to build an on-campus bookstore, and to challenge the men of our church to do more reading. In the bookstore, we have one section labeled, “Top 25 in the Nation”. We stock the top twenty-five bestsellers in our nation’s Christian bookstores. We have a Marriage & Family section, Christian Living section, Children’s section, and more. There is one section with “Pastor’s Top Ten”, where I offer my top ten recommended books; and a “Staff’s Top Picks”, where the rest of the staff offers two or three books each. We have about twenty-five books in that section. On Father’s Day, our staff always presents a gift to the men – often the gift is a book. Each year, we’ll sell more than 100 “Through the Year” bibles at the bookstore, and we encourage our members to read their bibles with the staff each year. (By the way, you can view these lists at http://www.getnewhope.net/).

A good friend (he pastors in Colorado) hired John Maxwell’s reading coach about 20 years ago. She provides him with a list of 50 books to read each year. He reads one book per week. This year, I’m motivated to become more intentional about reading. I’m committed to reading at least two books each month. I need your help! Read any good books lately? Please give me your “Top Five” suggested books.

2 comments:

  1. Here are some I've liked well enough that I've bought extra copies to give away:

    1 - I Became a Christian and All I Got Was This Lousy T-shirt, by Vince Antonucci

    2 - Made to Stick, by Chip and Dan Heath

    3 - How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie

    4 - Purple Cow by Seth Godin

    5 - The New Worship - Straight Talk on Music and the Church, by Barry Liesch

    6 - Let Me Tell You a Story, by Tony Campolo

    7 - The Pursuit of God - A.W. Tozer



    Here are some that I liked just as much, but I haven't bought extra copies yet:

    Brain Rules, by John Medina

    A Tale of Three Kings - Gene Edwards

    Encounter with Spurgeon - Helmut Thielicke

    The Best of Billy Sunday - compiled by John R. Rice


    On my wish list:

    The 100 Best Business Books of All Time: What They Say, Why They Matter, and How They Can Help You - Jack Covert and Todd Sattersten

    Do Hard Things - Alex and Brett Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. "IT" by Craig Groeshel; rocked my world

    "Dare to Dream" by John Maxwell; very inspirational about our dreams

    "In a Pit with a Lion" by Mark Batterson; courage to face the enemy

    "Fred Factor" by Mark Sanborn; realize our attitude makes a differnce

    "The Creative Leader" by Ed Young Jr.; break out of your box

    "Tribes" by Seth Godin; there are all kinds of people that flock together

    Reading now:
    "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan
    "STicky Church" by Larry Osbourne
    "Go Big" by Bill Cornelius

    ReplyDelete