Saturday, February 7, 2009

"IT" melted my face off



I do alot of reading as i pursue spiritual, leadership & creative development. In 2008 this was the one book out of 10 or so I read that melted my face off. All of us at some point in time have had moments when we felt like God spoke directly to us. Well for me this was one of those times.

I was on a plane to the Philippines in September with Mike Hamilton to speak at 2 Pastor's Conferences for David Parkman. While being gone for 12 days on this trip this book slapped me in the face.

I want to share some thoughts and quotes from this book with you. Our Vision Team dissected this book for 3 months each week allowing the Holy Spirit (IT) to speak into our lives.


The Spirit wanted to know why I had turned to skill, experience, and knowledge instead of heart, passion and total dependence on God. The first 3 are great when used in dependence on the later 3 but not without them. I don't have the "IT" I once had, but God was already at work in me about that before i read this book.

"IT" is not a system, method, program , environment, technology, a model or a or a full color brochure. It cant' be bought, copied, hoarded or flaunted.
"IT" is unmistakenly God's presence, the Holy Spirit, the anointing, the unquenchable thirst for God, a single passionate heartbeat for God and His plan's, being a soul winner, being undone, Ruined for Him and by Him. People are drawn to the "IT" factor and they can't help it.

When a church has "IT" creativity flows. When they don't, they simply follow the same formula they have used year after year. This is where people become bored, uninspired and complacent.
When a ministry has "IT", the staff knows they are part of something bigger than themselves, part of a DIVINE ASSIGNMENT. They often show up early and stay late. They rarely fight and when they do disagree they grow through their differences rather quickly. When a staff doesn't have it they simply do their job and draw their paycheck. They are Territorial. Jealous. Griping. Even Bitter.

When a church has "IT" lives are changing and everyone around knows it. The best explanation given in this book for "IT" is this:
  • A Passion for His presence
  • A Deep craving to reach the Lost
  • Sincere Integrity
  • Spirit-Filled Faith
  • Down to Earth humility
  • Brokeness

If you havn't read this book, i encourage you to allow "IT" to speak into your life.

Worse than being blind would be to be able to see but have no Vision.

Helen Keller

3 comments:

  1. I just read "IT." Looks like IT is having that same effect on many people. I think every Pastor and church leader needs to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get it and read it. Spent some time with Jeff Kenney during the last couple of days and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fellowship is so important in our npn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have it and been meaning to read it. I will be opening it up this week at Starbucks, will share when finished.

    ReplyDelete