Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pastor Statistics

Forty eight percent of them think their work is hazardous to their family well-being. Another 45.5 percent will experience a burnout or a depression that will make them leave their jobs. And 70 percent say their self-esteem is lower now than when they started their position. They have the second-highest divorce rate among professions.

They are pastors.

  • 80 percent of pastors say they have insufficient time with spouse and that ministry has a negative effect on their family.
  • 40 percent report a serious conflict with a parishioner once a month.
  • 33 percent say that being in ministry is an outright hazard to their family.
  • 75 percent report they've had a significant stress-related crisis at least once in their ministry.
  • 58 percent of pastors indicate that their spouse needs to work either part time or full time to supplement the family income.
  • 56 percent of pastors' wives say they have no close friends.
  • 45 percent of pastors' wives say the greatest danger to them and family is physical, emotional, mental and spiritual burnout.
  • 21 percent of pastors' wives want more privacy.
  • 40 percent of pastors considered leaving the pastorate in the past three months.
  • Pastors who work fewer than 50 hours a week are 35 percent more likely to be terminated.

Source: "Pastors At Greater Risk" by H.B London Jr. and Neil Wiseman, Regal Books, 2003

5 comments:

  1. Great post. It is essential that us as Pastors make a decision that we will not be one of these statistics. This is the very reason why we must take time away from our churches and ministry for rest & relaxation. If we do not make ourselves take this time it will effect our families, our ministry and our lives. It is also essential that we invest in conferences/retreats just for pastors/leaders. We can glean so much from these that will give us prospectives that we may never have experienced before. Just this past week, Karen & I took a few days off including Sunday and now are on our way to Dallas to Creative Church Confernce at Fellowship Church.

    Thanks Russell for bringing awareness to the ever growing trend and stats that I want to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all the pastors said, "Yes & Amen!" I just had a pastor-friend from Mexico City unexpectedly show up on our door-step this past weekend (after a 50 hour drive). Their 40 Days of Purpose campaign turned into more than 1,000 days of church EVERY NIGHT! After three years of church services, his wife and children leading the worship, and him doing most of the preaching....they are whipped! In addition, he gives oversight to more than 160 churches.

    I encouraged him to stop the madness. After 1,000 Days of Purpose, I think they've lost their purpose! I am a recovering "performer"; so I know all of the "people pleasing" habits. With 160 churches, and more than 1,000 in his congregation, my friend still feels the pressure of performing most of the preaching assignments, funerals, weddings, attending birthday & anniversary parties, dedicating the babies, etc... I'm tired just thinking about it.

    I see too often that pastors are intimidated and fearful when it comes to releasing and delegating; or they've been so burned in the past by those who were supposed to support the vision and share the load, that they've thrown out the baby with the bathwater. Well, Eddie's right...we need R&R, inspiration from conferences, quality family time, and more. May I add one: We need to take "less time doing it all" - and more time training & releasing it, entrusting the work of the ministry to reliable men and women.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elmer Towns says most small churches hire a "minister", expecting that the hired minister do the the ministry.

    This puts most of our PCG ministers in a hard spot, as the bulk of our churches are small (35-50 in weekly attendance).

    Often, these congregations expect their minister to:
    - do the marrying and burying
    - visit the sick
    - drop in for dinner once a month
    - evangelize the unsaved
    - keep the church clean and the lawn mowed
    - preach something excellent 3 times a week
    - work a 2nd job to supplement income

    Obviously, something has to give.

    Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 years ago after an incredible outreach in which 47 salvations took place and 24 were baptised I came home, broke down and cried. I was not happy. I was spent and it was my fault! I went to the mountains alone (cried some more) and read one of the best books I have read for a pastor called "Choosing to Cheat" by Andy Stanley. It was throuh that book I relaized that my to do list will never be done, that no matter what, someone was going to feel cheated and it was up to me to chose my family or the church. I have come to terms with making people mad. I have told my church many times I WILL NOT SAVE THE WORLD AND LOSE MY FAMILY!! We set the tone, not the people. They will take whatever we are willing to give! I learned the hard way but thankfully not too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We know from Matt 8:14 that Peter was married.

    Why don't we read about Peter's wife or kids anywhere throughout the book of Acts or 1/2/3 Peter?

    Anyone besides me find this odd?

    ReplyDelete