Saturday, May 30, 2009

Who's Will?

Few things in life are more powerful than the human will. One idea, coupled with the human will, made modern transportation possible. One idea, coupled with the human will, made it possible for any person on any continent of the earth to fly to another continent – anywhere in the world – the airplane was created. One idea, coupled with the human will, put the first man on the moon. The human will has made modern transportation and modern technology a reality. Few things in life are more powerful than the human will.

The Bible says that David was “…a man after God’s own heart…” King Saul & King David were so different in so many ways. King Saul did things his way. He did what was right in his eyes, and what was right in the eyes of others. His will came before the will of God. But, David’s will was submitted to the will of God. As I was reading (in my Daily Bible Reading) a few weeks ago, I read David’s words in Psalm 101. Eleven times, King David uses the words “I Will”.

“…I will sing of your love and justice, Lord. I will praise you with songs. 2 I will be careful to live a blameless life—when will you come to help me? I will lead a life of integrity in my own home. 3 I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar. I hate all who deal crookedly; I will have nothing to do with them. 4 I will reject perverse ideas and stay away from every evil. 5 I will not tolerate people who slander their neighbors. I will not endure conceit and pride. 6 I will search for faithful people to be my companions. Only those who are above reproach will be allowed to serve me. 7 I will not allow deceivers to serve in my house, and liars will not stay in my presence. 8 My daily task will be to ferret out the wicked and free the city of the Lord from their grip…” It was evident me, while reading this passage, that King David had learned to surrender his will to the will of God.

Jesus had to surrender His will at the age of twelve when His parents found him in the Temple. He had to surrender His will in the Garden of Gethsemane. Noah built an ark for more than one hundred years while being ridiculed. His will was in check. Nehemiah, the disciples, the Apostle Paul…well, the list doesn’t end – they surrendered their wills to God.

What about you today? Who’s will is most important to you: The will of the people, the will of self, or the will of God? How can you miss the will of God? What are common ways that we, as church leaders, ignore the will of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment