Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Different Perspective!

In my youth, I thought of missionaries as the people who came to our churches to raise money. They always had their hand out in a posture to receive. They always seemed to live in the land of "not enough". Then, as a young pastor in early short-term missionary travels, I would always find myself at the churches and ministries who lived in that same land. Whether Africa, the Philippines, El Salvador, Mexico, Hungary, or Romania, the land was still the land of "not enough". Once or twice, I recognized a new land, the land of "just enough". They had just enough to make it; and didn't seem quite so dependent on the American church.

When I came to Ghana, it was refreshing to meet someone in a land of familiarity. I'd had never enjoyed a land like this one - it felt so much like the land I live in. I'm not talking about the climate, the food, the amenities, or anything of that nature - I'm talking about the land of "more than enough". My friend, Dr. Ebenezer Markwei is a man with a vision. He is also the biggest giver that I have ever met in my life. He is building a 10,000 seat auditorium, followed by a 150 bed hospital.

Today, we sat with two National leaders, Kings, Chiefs, and Nobles. We were on National Television, as the church hosted a Medical Outreach. More than 30 doctors and nurses were on site. The national Minister of Health and the Minister of Information (equivalent to our Press Secretary) addressed some of the health concerns in Ghana before the church served the people. Medical supplies and services were provided, and the church is paying for the first 100 people to get 100% medical coverage for one year. Pastor Markwei said that the outreach would cost $200,000 US Dollars. You would be blown away if I disclosed how much he and his wife contributed personally for this event.

What's the point? I'm glad you asked. I was reminded today that my perspective of missionaries and pastors around the world hasn't always been accurate. There are men and women of God everywhere in the world - just like you and me - who are great givers! The next time you see a missionary or a pastor from some other part of the world, I encourage you to look more discerning at their hands. Yes, some have their hands extended in a posture to receive; but there are so many who have their hands out in a posture to give. What's your perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment