Thursday, May 21, 2009

Qualities of a Good Team

My heart this week has been to focus on the team God has graciously allowed me to work with. Working with a team is so much better then working alone. Can you imagine doing it all again? I remember 10 years ago when Beverly and I came to Indianapolis, we assumed leadership of a church that was struggling with internal dysfunction in it's leadership.

The good news is that we just loved the people through it and an atmosphere of trust was created which gave us the opportunity to set the right climate. Don't get me wrong, this took time. (You don't turn a ship on a dime.) Today, with the right climate, we've been able to produce a culture that is conducive to leadership training.

Building a diverse team has been an exciting challenge. Here are some things that I've kept in mind along the journey.

1. The leader must be gifted & committed to leading the team. - Ephesians 4:11
2. The team must be united under the Lordship of Jesus. - Ephesians 5:23
3. Recruit gifted people for vital roles (especially in areas you are weak in.) - Acts 6:3
4. Give on the job training. - Matthew 28:19-20
5. Create a "servant-leadership" climate where service is more important than position. - Luke 22:26-27
6. Show respect for one another. - Hebrews 13:17
7. Recognize the need for honest and open communication. - 2 Corinthians 12:19
8. Prepare for opposition. - 1 Peter 5:8-9
9. Stay focused on your vision & goals. - Philippians 3:14
10.Be accountable and open to correction. - Revelation 3:19

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips Pastor! I, too, have the privilege of leading a great team. But, I've had some knuckle-heads along the way also. The truth is: I was the knuckle-head who hired them; and, as the people-person I am, I failed to adequately review and correct them in the early years on the team. As a result, they didn't make it; and everyone suffered.

    Recently, I took just three of my full-time staff members to lunch. I apologized to them for mistakes that cost the team and the church. I told them, "...you've been left to clean up some of the mess I helped create..." I went on to say, "...from now on, I will not do the hiring - we will (as a team). We will review the individual together; and after two years, we will together decide if they stay on the team." I would just add to your observations above: Only the leader can stand in his/her place of authority.

    Like King David, if we don't execute correction and/or justice, we leave it to an Absalom. What would have been justice for King David, became murder for his son (he killed his half-brother for raping his sister). As senior leaders, we potentially breed division and tension on our team when we don't stand in our place of authority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, I totally agree. Bringing another staff member on is a move that effects everyone, therefore I agree that your team should weigh in on another addition.

    Like you said, ultimately, the Pastor must sit in the seat of authority/correction.

    GO TEAM! :-)

    ReplyDelete