Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Who's Home Tonight?

Years ago, I had a young man approach me with a request for lunch. He spent several minutes sharing all of the wonderful things that he was doing in recovery ministry. Teaching several nights each week at the Homeless Shelter and Recovery Homes and Programs, his testimony was quite impressive. He was influencing people well into the hundreds. He was (and is today) one of the most radical soul winners I have ever known.

At lunch that day, he said, "Pastor Jeff, I've been attending your church for more than six months now. One day, I'd really like to join your ministry team and staff." My first thought was "Wow! This guy is amazing! Let's talk salary and do this thing." But the Holy Spirit convicted my heart. He said, "Jeff, he's doing too much!" So, I started to ask more questions. Finally, I said to this man, "I'm sorry. I couldn't have you on my staff. You do too much. You're only home one night each week. I require that my staff is home no less than three nights each week, having quality family time. The only way I could ever hire you is if you preach and teach less." He was shocked by my words. But he took my advice, quickly consolidated some of the teaching nights to one night. Instead of going to the programs, he got permission to bring them to the church for our recovery night (Tuesdays). About one year later, he joined my staff. Today, after five years, he has an awesome recovery ministry; and our church has grown ever since.

What about your leaders? Who's home tonight? What are your requirements for staff? Do you require your music pastor, for example, to be in the office at 9 a.m. (when they may have had rehearsals until midnight the night before)? Is your youth pastor expected to work 70 hours a week (that wouldn't be in writing - but do they feel pressure from you to perform)? Do they know that you expect them to take days off, vacation time, study time, prayer time, and family time? I have a confession to make. I won't be home tonight. I wasn't home last night. And, I won't be home tomorrow night. This week is an exception. Sorry if this surprises you or sounds a bit hypocritical. I promise that I'll be home more next week. My family is enjoying Heavenly Ski Resort in Lake Tahoe with my brother and his family at their Time Share.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff,

    great words. taking a break is a must and requirement for our team as well. we don't encourage them to take a weekend off, we demand it. rest & relaxation is one of the things that i have found usually bring about the most inspiration and vision. thanks for your commitment to making us accountable to R&R.

    ReplyDelete