Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ministry Mentorship through Relationship

Philippians 2:19-21 19But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state. 20For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. 21For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ’s.

Paul was thrilled to claim Timothy as his son in the faith. I can imagine that Timothy was just as thrilled to have Paul as a spiritual father.

Both had a perspective of their relationship:

Paul
  • Timothy was young and could be relied on.
  • Timothy could check on the churches while Paul was under arrest.
  • Paul could trust Timothy.
  • Paul knew Timothy would handle problems/situations just like him.
  • Timothy had proven his character.
  • Timothy would take care of the churches just like Paul would.

Timothy

  • He had witnessed the highs and lows of ministry.
  • He witnessed the miracles in Paul's ministry.
  • He felt the love of his spiritual father.

Paul & Timothy serve to me as a model of "ministry mentorship" through their relationship. I guess that's why to this day we consider young men & women as "young Timothy's."

Relationships in ministry are vital! I realize that not everyone will be your "best friend" - however, we must place value on all the relationships God affords us.

I have practiced this model for many years now:

  • Paul you're following
  • Barnabas you're walking beside
  • Timothy you're leading

Identifying my relationships in these three categories has brought clarity to each relationship.

I am also learning to adopt the following Five Levels of Relationship in my life, based on the relationships of Jesus & Moses:

Jesus

  • One - John the beloved
  • Three - Peter, James & John
  • Twelve - Disciples
  • Seventy - Sent two by two
  • Multitude - Showed up everywhere He went

Moses

  • One - Joshua
  • Three - Joshua, Aaron, Hur
  • Twelve - 12 Tribes
  • Seventy - Elders
  • Multitude - a multitude came out of Egypt

My thoughts on this wonderful Wednesday....

Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment