Monday, March 9, 2009

Honoring a Fallen Brother

Yesterday while I was showering and getting ready for our services Pastor Fred Winters was ministering at the early service at his church, First Baptist Church in Marysville Illinois. While preaching a man stood up and began shooting at the Pastor hitting his bible and then hitting him. After the assailent was apprehended by several members of the church, Pastor Winters was taken to the hospital where he later died of his wounds. A few of the men who stepped in to stop the assailent were stabbed but will survive their wounds.

The church which has grown from 32 to over 1200 under his leadership today is mourning their loss. Pastor Winters leaves behind his wife and 2 daughters and many friends who have obviously been shocked by the tragic event. Today many questions are unanswered and a family and church is left wondering why?

Today, I want to take a moment to honor a brother who has fallen in the line of duty. A man who gave his life doing what we do everyday, preaching the gospel and loving God's people. I did not know this man nor do I compare myself to him but today I honor him for his life and ministry to the people of Marysville and beyond. It will never be measured the countless lives his life has and will effect in the years to come. Even today many pastors like me are forced to re-examine our committment to the cause of Christ and willingness to lay down our lives for what we believe in. It is not easy I can tell you. I am a pastor, married with 2 girls just like him. I can only pray that I live each day making each moment count for none of us have been given the promise of tomorrow but only that God is the one holding it.
Today I challenge myself and all the pastors of our fellowship to live each day to the fullest and make the most of each day given. Make the tough calls and don't take the comfortable & easy route. Time is short & there is so much to be done for the kingdom. Let us lay aside our insignificant differences and focus on the greater cause, that of winning the lost!

Today I pray for First Baptist Church in Marysville, his wife Cindy and his 2 girls. May the work he began continue and grow through this tragedy as God takes what the enemy intended for evil and turns it around for His Glory!

God Bless You Pastor Winters, my brother in Christ. Today we bless you and honor you for the life you lived for Christ!

3 comments:

  1. Todd, thank you for the blog. My heart has been challenged the past 36 hours with prayer for Fred Winter's wife & children as well as for the congregation of First Baptist. Great job on honoring a man of God. It really hit home just over 100 miles from here. Thanks for your friendship and care for me and all the guys on NPN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd & Eddie,

    My heart is with both of you. I remember going to a funeral that my father-in-law conducted for a tow truck driver. I was amazed at the number of tow trucks following the hearst with their flashing lights. It gave me a real appreciation for these men and women with seemingly thankless jobs. My late dad was a fireman in San Francisco. His brother, my uncle, is still one of eight Assistant Fire Chiefs in the City. His funeral was filled with these uniformed civil servants.

    Your hearts have given me the desire to do something for this family. We'll send a love offering (at the very least).

    This incident is a wake-up call for all of us. It would do us well to consider our security policies. My mentor and ministry "Papa", Dale Gentry, has a good friend who pastors a church with several thousand in his congregation. He has about eight armed men throughout the church. John Hagee tells the story of a man who came into a service with a gun. I was in his office; and he has a private secured garage that leads to a secured hallway which leads to his office. Although we must not walk in fear, we cannot be too careful.

    Where sin abounds, grace much more abounds! I, too, pray God's best for the Winter's family and First Baptist Church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,

    I agree, security measures are something we should all take a long look at in our churches. It is being proactive instead of reactive after the fact. Good word.

    ReplyDelete