Monday, September 14, 2009

"I'm behind you Pastor!"

Have you ever heard someone say, "I'm behind you Pastor?"

That statement sounds great - but actually, when you tell someone you're behind them, what you could really be saying is "the reason I'm standing behind you is so I can point my finger at you if something goes wrong."

What I'm learning is, if you're standing WITH someone you cannot point at them from behind.

I would much rather people be standing with me rather than behind me.

Pastor, the same goes for each of us in our relationship with our leader(s). (PCG Bishop - both district and general, spiritual fathers, other Kingdom leaders, etc.)

We are either standing WITH them or BEHIND them.

I'm standing WITH my district leader when:

  • I show up for what matters to him.
  • I support through attendance & finances.
  • I pray for him and speak blessings over him (privately & publically).
  • I do not entertain any type of gossip/slander/negativity about him.

I'm standing WITH my general leader when:

  • I make room in my calendar to attend national meetings.
  • I do not entertain any type of gossip/slander/negativity about him.
  • I show up for General Convention.
  • I give my opinion with a loving sweet spirit - NOT as a matter of fact know it all.

You've heard it said often: "we can be part of the solotuion or part of the problem." That is still my heart when it comes to standing WITH my leaders.

If I wanted to, I could refuse to get plugged into the main stream of our fellowship - I could use the excuse "I don't like politics", "Until things change, I'm going to stand over here in the shadows"....

We could give the same excuses that we would balk at if it was one of our leaders in our church saying it to us.

But how is this helping my leader - who needs my positive presence and influence now?

I stand WITH them just as I would want the leaders in my local church to stand WITH me.

Are you standing WITH or BEHIND?

6 comments:

  1. Russell, great play on words yet very relevant. We have a wonderful orginization and we all can work "with" each other and make it even better. That's what I believe God wants too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organizations like the "Foursquare" have done a great job helping pastors to determine their level of involvement. They clearly define levels of involment for pastors and churches, sharing the benefits and advantages for each level. Since we are a "Fellowship", pastors and churches enter into something that we call "voluntary".

    If I ask you to "volunteer", I shouldn't get disappointed when you say "no". Clearly, there are pastors who are more active and involved than others. They should be offered benefits that those who are less involved don't receive. One very wise lady recently said, "...If an American chooses not to vote, it doesn't change the fact that they are still American..." If I'm Democratic or Republican, am I less committed if I don't attend their National Convention?

    Perhaps it would be to our benefit as an organization to more clearly define levels of involvement, offering benefits for those who are more committed. It is unreasonable to think that everyone is going to be 100% committed to every activity, convention, rally, fellowship meeting, etc... We need to value each one in our fellowship regardless of their level of involvement. After all, we are a voluntary fellowship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting perspective. Pastors of growing churches definitely have full schedules.

    One thing I've tried to do in the district I am part of is to communicate with my District Bishop the levels of involvement I feel that I'm reasonably able to participate in.

    He is understanding and ameniable that our local church is very active and it requires my watchful oversight - even though I don't attend everything my local church is doing, due to a growing schedule.

    I'm still learning to balance this - but seem to have somewhat of a handle on it at this point.

    When it comes to our National Convention (General Convention) - it would seem to me that if I'm "part" of this Fellowship/Organization, I pay credentials to walk with a covering, and I desire to see our team reach it's fullest potential - then I would ensure my presence if nothing more than to pour water on the hands of my leaders.

    Obviously, I can't make every meeting - but I strive to do the best I can and keep the key dates/events if at all possible.

    Question - what are we? A Fellowship or an Organization?

    How do we distinguish a pastor's level of involvement based on whether we are a Fellowship or an Organization?

    My post today focused on our placement in relationship to those we are following. (With or Behind?)

    Here's another question - if we are a Fellowship or an Organization - does that determine where we decide to stand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This thread could go a number of directions but I think the issue of being "behind" or "with" a leader is really a matter of perspective. All of us are familiar with the oft-quoted leadership proverb: "He who thinketh he leadeth and hath no one following him is merely taking a walk." In a leadership sense, having followers is not always a bad thing. Paul himself said "Follow me as I follow Christ." Granted there are those who could use the opportunity of being "behind" a leader for their personal gain or destructive behavior, but then again, even those who claim to be "with" us may fall into the same trap. This may be an extreme example, but Judas walked "with" Christ for 42 months before he sold Him out. Not everyone who claims to be with us is really with us. The course of time will weed out those whose words and actions aren't in alignment, whether behind or with. Either way we have to continue to lead in the context of relationships.

    I'm curious, Jeff, how would you structure your benefits for involvement package?

    In response to your question of whether we (PCG) are an organization or a fellowship: I think in theory we are a fellowship, but in practice we are an organization. Maybe I can unpack this a little more another time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, Jon (to answer your question), I'd look at other models such as the "Foursquare". It is my understanding that until recently, they wouldn't allow a pastor or church to come under their umbrella unless the minister was ordained with them and the church deed was in their name.

    They recently started to offer different levels of involvement for Independent and Non-Denominational churches. So, that is a model worth observing over the next several years.

    The real issue for me, however, is that we don't mistakenly give the impression that we expect all or nothing. Everybody, big or small, 100% involved or 10% involved - we all have something to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That makes sense. Something we have not promoted much (but is in our bylaws) is the affilate church or partnership ministry (I forget the wording). If we are going to expand our fellowship we have to be willing to broaden our net by inviting independent churches to partner with us with no strings attached. In our district we have 2 churches that are partnership ministries. One of these churches sent 54 people (students and workers) to our camp this year and both support district meetings on a regular basis. The Pastors don't carry credentials with PCG but are welcomed and accepted nonetheless. I think you are on a track here that we need to drill into further. It's all about Kingdom anyway.

    ReplyDelete