Wednesday, April 15, 2009

When Is Enough, Enough?

I have heard it said and have said it myself to my church many times. "If we do not reach outside of our church we are telling our community to go to hell!"

I have read the statistics that less than 10% of churches have any form of evangelism and even less teach it as a regular part of their services. The truth is many people like their church. They know who everyone is, where everything is and know from week to week what is going to happen. I think many of our pastors are like this as well. They know who everyone is, they know everyone loves them and they know nobody there will challenge them either. It is one happy family church.

Even though I believe one day I will, it is still hard to imagine pastoring a church Jeff's size or larger. However, it is unacceptable to imagine me pastoring my church the same size 2-3 years from now. When is enough, enough?

Easter is over and most people are recouping and basking in the glory of a great crowd. I am looking to the next day, the next service, the next opportunity to reach the lost.

Why are we in this? A paycheck, a parsonage....not me. I want to reach the lost and hurting. It is not enough to say those words as spiritual as they sound. We must be continual and intentional in our pursuit of the lost. Easter is not the only time of the year when people are open to the gospel. When is enough, enough?

My building is small but I will add as many services or get as creative as I can to make room for more. I pass by vacant buildings and say "God, that would make a great church". But God keeps me where I am for a reason. I could have taken a bigger church with higher pay and more people in a better community but that would be what most would do. I am not like most and neither are you! The lost are all around you and they are waiting for you to come to them and let them know you care.

WHEN IS ENOUGH ENOUGH?

1 comment:

  1. Todd,

    This morning, in my daily Bible reading, I read King David's words, "...Passion for your house burns within me..." My heart connected with King David today. He writes what so many pastors feel. Big or small, our bathrooms need remodeling, buildings need fresh paint, ushers need training, spiritual sons and daughters need nurturing, nurseries need room deodorizers....YOU GET THE POINT! I never want to lose my passion for the things and the people whom God's passion burns.

    ReplyDelete