Thursday, April 30, 2009

Out of Order!

The words "out of order" can be a real slap in the face. In America, we see disorder, disrespect, and dishonor on a very regular basis. Just watch a sitcom, late night show, or listen to any comedian, and you'll have to agree with that statement.

This is my fourth trip here to Ghana, and I'm always amazed at the level of respect I see for authority figures. This is a country with order and protocol. When I first came, I was a little thrown back by all of the pomp and circumstance; but today, I see that respect and honor are a priority in the Kingdom - even if it's not in our culture.

Church government here is not influenced by American culture. They are not democratic. They don't vote on their pastor. They have a Kingdom mentality. It's interesting to me that Jesus was constrained to do miracles in his hometown. The Bible doesn't say that he "would not do many miracles", it says that he "couldn't do many miracles. " He said that "a prophet is without honor in his hometown."

I wonder if many of today's miracles are seen in other parts of the world, while in America, we may only see an occasional back ache or head ache get healed, because of the dishonor, disrespect, and disorder we so often tolerate.

Maybe someone is "out of order" in your church. How do you handle them? Is there a process for church discipline? We must not allow people who have money, political clout, cultural relevance, or anything else keep us from standing for order, unity, and God's peace in our churhces in ministries!

3 comments:

  1. I see multiple reasons for the increase in miracles in other countries:

    - the honor bestowed on the minister
    - the amount of prayer given
    - the amount of sacrifice required for people to attend church
    - the level of the people's expectation
    - God's (possible) tendency to work more miracles in unevangelized areas

    On the honor thing, one trap many leaders fall into is seeing the rewards of honor in other locations and then mandating/expecting to be treated the same way.

    Honor cannot be something you require. It can only be given and received.

    Leaders should model honor at all times in how they treat and talk about anyone in a position of authority over them -- police, city, state, and national government, district and national bishops, their parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles, older siblings, older people in general, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think honoring leaders is great, needed for sure . However, there is a such thing of over doing it in my opinion or abusing it if you will. I have seen more honor given to men than the presence of God at times. We demand from others what we are unwilling to give to God and that can be said in many areas I am sure.

    I have not yet had the honor of preaching in another country. When God opens the door and says walk I will. Until then I will continue to pray for God's best here. John Bevere speaks to this issue very well in his book THE FEAR OF THE LORD. If you have not read it, it is worth reading. Lev 10:3 "but those who come near me I must be regarded as holy and before all the people I ust be glorified".

    If we do not learn to honor Him, we will never get the honoring one another right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in agreement with your thoughts. Many times, leaders demand honor or respect without modeling it to others. Jesus said, "...What you've done to the least of these, you've done unto me..." We must honor those that are beneath our care. As pastors and church leaders, it should be our priority to honor "the least of...(you fill in the blank)".

    ReplyDelete