Friday, April 17, 2009

GET RID OF THE EXCESS WEIGHT

Ok, this post is a little personal but that's ok. Even though I spent most of my young life a skinny kid, most of my adult life has been over weight and out of shape. I must admit that even though I am driven and passionate in ministry, my lack of discipline in that area of eating habits and health is one I have neglected. That is until recently.

Last year I weighed 319 lbs and I was shocked. Although God has blessed my church and ministry I had to be honest that I was being unfair to myself, my family and church. I decided to see a nutritionist and make some changes. I want to be around for years to come for my wife and kids first, and my church second.

To make a long story short today I got back from my monthly appointment and I have lost a total of 39 lbs as I weighed a slim (lol) 280 lbs and dropping. I am not dieting, just eating well balanced healthy meals with the right size portions. On top of that I am excercising 3-4 times a day playing basketball, softball and running 2 miles a day.

I feel better and am excited even more about who I can be to my wife and kids and how this will allow me to be more effective in my relationship with God and in my ministry.

Hebrews 12 reminds us to not only look unto Jesus as the author and finisher of our faith but to lay aside THE WEIGHT and the SIN that so easily trips us up!

I understand the meaning of this text and want to remind each of us that we have a responsibility to take care of the vessel God has given us to operate in for His glory!

I do not know where each of you guys are in this area but hope that each of you will consider examining your physical health so your family as well as the kingdom will have you around for years to come!

HERE'S TO HEALTHY PASTORS INSIDE AND OUT!

2 comments:

  1. good word Todd. It has been a conviction of mine also. I have been hitting the gym faithfully for 2 months. God spoke to me about this in January for me personally. I have failed in this area but am trying to make it right now. Thanks for the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd, I was teaching this morning to a mentorhsip group and I shared your testimony of weight loss. (It was fitting for my message) We rejoiced over the discipline you are exercising.

    I stopped going to the gym during our 17 week renovation project. Tired I guess. I kid you not, one
    of the guys came up to me after class and said, "Pastor, I think you need to go back to the gym again." I just laughed and laughed.

    Thanks for the story! - Russell

    ReplyDelete