Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Just want to be Fed!!

"I’ve heard it…you have too…'Christians' saying, 'I just want to be fed!' It blows my mind! This would be equal to you and I going to an all you can eat buffet and crying because no one would bring us any food. Food is all around in this environment…but if the person is lazy and self centered, wanting to be waited on hand and foot, then they could possibly starve to death when food is merely a few feet away.

"Today as Christians we have WAY more information than we could ever apply. However, I think many people use 'going deep' as an excuse as to not actually apply any of the knowledge they claim to be soaking up. I believe it breaks the heart of God when arrogant people claim intellectual superiority out of pride and stupidity rather than just seeking Jesus and trying to honor Him on a daily basis."In reading through the Scriptures I have found that Jesus’ strongest words of rebuke were for the 'deep,' the professional religious people of the day. If 'deep' is being a part of the group that knows tons about the Bible but missed Jesus–then I don’t want to be affiliated with them. Give me Jesus Christ, crucified, risen and who will one day return…not another Bible study on the weight of the Ark of the Covenant."

If people are not even doing what they know then why do people complain about not being fed or going deeper. Let's get the Fruit of the Spirit right first before we seek the manifestation of the Spirit. There is no greater depth than personally leading someone to Christ. You want to be fed then serve others. There is no greater nourishment. Ephesians 6 says... not with eyeservice as menpleasers but as the servants of Christ doing the will of God from the heart.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes that whine comes from the rebellious. They don't want to submit to the teaching, so they complain or leave, saying, "I'm just not getting fed here."

    Isa 1:19 speaks to them - "If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat of the good of the land".

    There's a similar cry that calls out to blog addicts -- a subliminal slave driver that says, "read, read, read" or "feed, feed, feed!" And so we feed -- on Noble and Scoble, on Beeson and Batterson, on Rainer and Furtick, on Young, Stevens, and Godin.

    We spend a good chunk of every day sampling the dishes each blogger brought to the table. "Mark Batterson was good today." "Oh, I love what Perry Noble brought." "Did you taste Vince Antonucci's dish?"

    I used to be worry about what goodness I might miss out on if I didn't keep up with my reading.

    I don't care so much nowadays.

    I got convicted over spending so much time reading bloggers' opinions about God and spending so little time reading God's own word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading John Bevere's book, "Honor's Reward". It's a kissing cousin to "Under Cover". Many have dishonored their leaders with the words "I'm not getting fed". Whenever someone visits our church and says, "I wasn't getting fed at my last church", I don't throw out the red carpet to them. I often think, "I'd rather they just go somewhere else." In my opinion, they label themselves as rebellious and lazy with that comment.

    I'll never forget being a little boy (about 11) with a step-sister who spent her first weekend at our home. She complained to my mom, "you don't make eggs like my mom makes them". That didn't sit well with my mom. And it didn't sit well with me either.

    Sometimes, vagabond Christians wander aimlessly searching for the pastor who can serve 1/4 pound Singles, Whoppers, Big Mac's, and Jumbo Jacks. I tell my people, "we only serve Whoppers; so if you're looking for the Big Mac, you'll have to go back to the church you came from!"

    This whole idea goes back to a previous blog. When the primary focus of your ministry is to reach the unchurched, and when you find success with it, you discover that baby Christians love every meal.

    I appreciate the people who honor their leaders every week with a "thank you". Several years ago, a 15 year old teen caught me after the service, hugged me, and uttered the words, "Pastor, I like what you're doing!" Today, he's in his early twenties, and he still says it every Sunday! For that, I pray he receives honor's reward!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell my people "You may not like what is being served but the only way you won't be fed is if you don't pick up a fork and eat!"

    ReplyDelete