Friday, December 5, 2008

Come On, really, Let's think about IT

Hopefully you survived the blog from last night and are able to begin to digest what I am trying to say. Guys, ask yourself the tough questions. Really, what are we doing to invade the kingdom of darkness with the lifechanging message of Hope. I have been in PCG my entire life and it seems to me that we are more concerned about what other Denominations or Christians think about us than Loving the UnLovable. COME ON, Really, Let's think about IT. If we are not getting messy ourselves then how can we Lead, Ask, Require, Mandate or even PREACH to others that this is what us a Christ Followers are called to do. Be Honest, Be Bold, Take off the Mask, Quit talking in our PREACHER VOICE and be REAL & RELEVANT to today's UnChristian people that are dying without a Savior and ask yourself:
  • When was the last time you sat down in a place that was NOT a "Christian" safe environment and shared yourself with someone far from Christ, and did not PREACH to them??
  • When was the last time you woke up in the morning with your heart broken for people in your community that are beaten down, dysfunctional, bible illiterate, lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God?? If you are not broken for them then how can you reach them?
  • When was the last time you had someone at your church that you personally invited and shared Christ with??
  • How much time do you spend in a week in your community becoming familiar with where these people hang and how to touch them where they are??
  • Do you spend more time in "Deep" theological discussion with your staff than you do living the example of Passion to reach the "Messy" people in your city??

I believe it is time for us to Really, Think about IT. I get so tired of hearing theological debates and who is right and who is wrong. Come on, Get a LIFE!! I have almost come to the point that I dispise the word "Deep" because it seems that we cannot even get the simplicity of the Gospel right first. It is called the Great Commission. My prayer is that God will allow my spirit to be cut deeply when I am lazy, disinterested or even become to religious, to hear HIM speak to me. I ask the Holy Spirit to break us for the things that breaks His heart. So one last question for you and I hope it is in your face, rattles your cage, slaps you us beside your head.

  • How Many People have accepted Christ this year through your Ministry???

2 comments:

  1. Jesus asked in John 21, "You guys have been fishing all night, so what have you caught?" [My paraphrase]

    I wonder if he'd say the same to us?

    Pastor, you spent 500+ hours last year in sermon preparation. How many souls did you catch?

    Your local church spent $200K last year on salaries, buildings, and utilities. How many souls did you catch?

    The churches in your city spent $10 million altogether. How many souls did you catch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will answer your question in 2 parts. 1) more this year that in any previous year. 2) Not enough and have not kept enough of the ones we thought we caught! A book by Larry Osbourne "The Sticky Church" addresses the question "most of us have no problem getting them in the front door but how many of them are going right out the back door?" Every time we get a little comfortable, God rocks the boat. He uses something (like Vegas...previous blog comment) to remind me that I am not doing all that I can. I hope He keeps rocking the PCG boat, a few pastor's may jump ship but it may help us get the ones Christ died for on board.

    ReplyDelete