Wednesday, December 3, 2008

How to know you are a Leader


Every leader faces tough times - and that’s when leaders distinguish themselves and show who they really are. Leading others can be very difficult and can take great courage. Of course, it’s not that way all of the time. About 95 % of the decisions a CEO makes could be made by a reasonably intelligent high school graduate. What is often required is common sense. But CEO’s don’t get paid for those decisions; they get paid for the other 5 %! Those are the tough calls. Every change, every challenge, and every crisis requires a tough call, and the way those are handled is what separates good leaders from the rest.
How do you know when you’re facing a tough call and need to be at your best as a leader? You’ll know when the decision is marked by these three things:


1. The Tough Call Demands Risk

2. A Tough Call Brings with It an Inward Battle
3. A Tough Call will Distinguish You as a Leader

2 comments:

  1. I have also noticed that "tough decisions" will often put you in hot water for the short run; but if you've made the right decision, respect is your reward in the long run.

    Only one time in my short thirteen years of pastoring were the elders divided on a major decision. Prior to that, I could boast about a united, cooperative, and kind board. But this decision would put all of that to the test.

    One board member had recently moved, so the vote was 2-2. According to our by-laws, in the event of a tie, the pastor had the final decision. I asked them to pray with me for one week before we would make a final decision. I fasted and prayed. I did not like the fact that the board was divided. I wanted a unanimous decision; but it would not be found. We came back a week later and I asked if anyone had changed their minds. All heels were deeply planted in the soil of stubborness; so, that night, I had to make a tough decision. I knew it would not sit well with two of the guys on the board. My decision that night cost me two board members. One quit the board and the other left the church all together. Six years later (the long run), time has proven that our decision that night was undoubtedly the right decision. That tough decision gave me greater credibility when we found ourselves facing other challenges.

    On the contrary, poor decisions open the door for our people to question our ability to lead them through a crisis. Experience has taught me to walk a little more slowly through the mine-field of decisions. I am quicker to seek advice, receive counsel from my mentors, and to value the incredible wisdom of my wife Missy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate Jeff's transparency and vulnerability. A real life situation with real life credibility!

    ReplyDelete