Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Titles

Have you ever noticed how the church has become “title” hungry? It seems that I hear more and more “Bishop” so & so…”Apostle” so & so…etc. Now, don’t get me wrong, I believe in five-fold ministry and I also believe in giving honor to those who function in the Grace gifts of Ephesians 4:11-12. However, doesn’t it seem that we can go “overboard” when it comes to naming everyone? Sometimes when I hear the title of some people I just want to ask them "who are you a Bishop over?" (I don't, but oh how I want to, especially when I know they have given themselves the title)

At our church, our congregation calls me Pastor – I don’t know exactly how I got my title – I don’t really recall asking someone to call me that…it just happened and it stuck. I don’t mind it…but what I do mind is when I meet ministry peers who appear to be so “title conscious” that they actually get offended if you don’t refer to them as such. Again, let me state, I’m first in line to give honor where honor is due. But, even Jesus frowned upon those who desired to be recognized by their titles.

Beverly and I spoke at a conference a couple of weeks ago and before we arrived they emailed us to find out what title we wanted on our badge. I was appreciative of their preparedness. I shared with them that we were both down to earth people and they could simply use our names – and we’d be content with that. The funniest thing happened – when we arrived at the conference, we were taken to the registration table to receive our name badges. I kid you not – Beverly and I had four badges each to choose from. Lol!!! “Apostle Russell Hylton”, “Bishop Russell Hylton”, Pastor Russell Hylton” and finally “Russell Hylton”. And what was even funnier, we selected our badges and they put them on us, then we sat down (of course at the head table – far away from the people) and I noticed that they had actually given me Bev’s badge and her mine. We just laughed and rolled with it.

I could tell that this church and it’s leaders were really into the “title culture” that has, in my opinion, made us to appear to be superstar driven and has even (again, in my opinion) caused us to be dysfunctional as a church.

Again, don't get me wrong. I give honor to my leaders. I call my leaders what they are - because that's the level of anointing I want from them.

I’d love to hear your opinion…

Spiritual Architect, God’s man of faith & power, anointed & appointed, (just kidding)
Russell Hylton

7 comments:

  1. I could not agree more! I remember years ago when the title meant something to me. Now, it has little effect on me at all. I have young and old in my church who refer to me as Todd, some as Pastor, Many call me PT. What matters to me is that they listen, obey and follow as the Spirit of God leads them through me. I remember something Jack Hayford said. He said you can call me Pastor Jack but dishonor me by being negative or critical of what I do or say or you can honor me by calling me Jack but stand with me in every battle and prayerfully support my ministry. What most annoys me as you said is when ministers get together, peers and still want to introduce themelves as such. I find the 5 fold ministry in Eph 4:11 makes no declaration of greatness between the pastor, prophet, evangelist, apostle or teacher. Why do we value one or place more importance on one over the other. Without the anointing the title will leave you with nothing but the empty and hollow applause of men. That's just me, your humble brother in the Lord the most high reverend Todd Oldenburg, Pastor of Legacy and so cal district board member 4 seats to the left of the bishop....oh who cares. This is Todd, later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, i can't believe someone else in pcg does not expect a title. russell you are the man. i believe respect is earned not demanded. at christian life center we are lead pastors and people respect us and they call us Eddie & Karen. we love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a charismatic phenomena. You don't see many people outside the Pent/Charis movement who are into the title thing. Maybe our quest for the deeper things of God has led us to the shallowness of desiring a title. Maybe our perceived spirituality has made us immune to the reality that we all wake up in the morning with bad breath (I had salsa last night and this morning was worse than normal). Who knows?

    I think a key to avoiding this lies in an interview I heard on a Catalyst podcast with Andy Stanley. He was asked what keeps him from the success syndrome to which he replied "I have people in my life who hold me accountable who knew me before the success and they are not impressed with me." Perhaps we need more people in our lives who are not impressed with us that will truly hold us accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great insight. I became so convicted that I put my name as a contributor to the blog site and not my title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.K. I just finished my laugh about you and your wife switching name tags. Let me compose myself! I think you should have worn all four name badges.

    We sing a song, "I know who I am...I know who I am...I know who I am...I am yours - I am yours!" That's where it all starts. I was Jeff before they called me Pastor Jeff, PJ, Papa, or anything else. I know who I am.

    I realize that people take everything to extremes; but we must be careful to never throw the baby out with the bath-water.

    Paul also knew who he was. "Paul, an Apostle of the Lord, Jesus Christ". I have learned that every relationship must be defined. When you receive a prophet, you'll receive a prophet's reward. For those who call me "Jeff", I'll be "Jeff" to them. I'll be their buddy. The challenge comes when they don't need a buddy...they need a Pastor. They may need direction, correction, instruction, or protection. If we allow ourselves to be buddies with everyone in our congregations, we may be setting ourselves up for trouble down the road.

    I never demand that people call me "Pastor Jeff", or anything else; but I think it's healthy for our people - young and old alike - to define our relationship with them. When they receive a Pastor, Apostle, Bishop, or Teacher...they'll also receive their just reward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Jeff. It really does come down to knowing our identity. Here's a tag thought to what you are saying: For many ministers, their identity is wrapped up in what they do rather than who they are which could lead to what I will call "Title Affection Syndrome." I wear many different ministry "hats" and if my identity was wrapped up in what I do, I would have Ministry M.P.D.! (Four name badges, Russell - you may have Ministry M.P.D. - LOL) I love what you said, Jeff, abouot people receiving us as a Pastor, Bishop, etc... those become titles of respect born out of relationship and we should be secure enough in who Christ has made us to be that we just function in our calling and allow the titles to come to us rather than seeking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the responses. Side note: WHAT THEY CALL US DOES NOT NECCESSARILY SPEAK TO HOW THEY TRULY FEEL ABOUT US. Our relationship with our church members is one thing and then as Russel said, how we address one another is different. When we as ministers get together we should honor one another enough to allow one another to just be us. I love being around people who simply allow me to be Todd. I have a great respect for Bishop Ming. He has never called himself that to me personally. He in fact always calls me pastor and says to me "this is Wayman". I respect him and his office and address him as Bishop because of the nature of who he is & has been to me, not what he expects me to call him. He has treated me as a peer but I acknowledge his leadership in my life. I honor each of you even though I do not know you all very well and hope that changes in the near future. May God continue to bless our efforts as we honor Him and one another!

    ReplyDelete